Fumed silica is an non-toxic non-harmful material. It is not combustible nor explosive. In fact fumed silica has been applied in cosmetic, food and drugs for years.
Due to its strong hygroscopicity(absorbing moisture), it may caused dry skin when directly contacted with skin. Fumed silica’s particle size is extremely small, the ultra light-weighted aggregates can be easily floated in air. Long term exposure will causes harms to lung.
Detailed Potential Health Effects
- Eye Contact: May cause mechanical irritation. Irritating, but will not permanent Low hazard for usual industrial or commercial handling.
- Skin Contact: Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking.
- Inhalation: Dust may be irritating to respiratory tract. Provide appropriate exhaust ventilation at machinery and at places where dust can be generated.
- Ingestion: Health injuries are not known or expected under normal use. Low hazard for usual industrial or commercial handling.
- Carcinogenic Effects: Does not contain any substances greater than 0.1% listed by IARC, NTP, OSHA, ACGIH or EU.
* For First Aid Measures and more other details, please go to our MSDS of Hydrophilic Fumed Silica, MSDS of Hydrophobic Fumed Silica.